Last Updated: May 3, 2017
For information about choices we provide in connection with our information practices, please see the “Your Choices” section below.
Categories of Information Collected
Information You Provide to Us
We collect information you provide to us when you register for an account, complete a transaction, link an external account to the Services, sign up to receive our email updates, fill out a form, or when you communicate with us. The types of information we may collect include your name, phone number, email address, bank account information, username, password, and any other information you choose to provide.
Information We Collect Automatically from our Services
When you use our Services, we automatically collect information about you as follows:
Information From Other Sources
Transaction Information. We collect information in connection with each transaction you engage in via the Services, including transaction time, amount of transaction, and other transaction details
Log Information: We collect standard server logs in connection with your use of our Services, including the type of browser you use, access times, pages viewed, IP address and the web page you visited before navigating to our Services.
Device Information: We collect information about the computer or mobile device you use to access our Services, including the hardware model, operating system and version, unique device identifiers and mobile network information.
Location Information: We may collect mobile device location information in connection with your use of our mobile app.
Information Collected by Tracking Technologies: We may use various technologies to collect information in connection with your use of our Services, including the following:
Cookies, which are small files that are sent to your computer or mobile device when you visit a website. Cookies allow our websites to recognize your browser and track your usage each time you visit;
Local storage, which stores data locally in your browser, including user preferences; and
Pixel tags, which are small blocks of code often used in connection with cookies. Pixel tags (or web beacons) may be placed on our websites and emails, and allow us to track website usage and determine when emails have been opened and acted upon.
We collect information from other companies and associate that with the information we collect about you. For example, in connection with your creation of an account, we may collect information about you from identity verification services in order to verify your identity, including your prior addresses and names. Also, if you use your credentials from a third-party social media service to log into your account, we may collect information from that service, such as your name and other account information, in accordance with the authorization procedures determined by that service.
Use of Information
We may combine the information we collect about you and use this information to:
- Provide, maintain, deliver and improve our Services;
- Develop new products and services;
- Send you technical notices and support and administrative messages;
- Communicate with you about products, services, promotions, events and other news and information we think will be of interest to you;
- Personalize our Services, including by providing content, advertisements or features we think will be of interest to you;
- Facilitate contests, sweepstakes and promotions and process and deliver entries and rewards;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities in connection with our Services;
- Detect and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities and protect the rights and property of bitFlyer and others; and
- Carry out any other purpose for which the information was collected.
Disclosure of Information
We may disclose information we collect between and among our affiliates. We may also disclose any information we collect about current and former customers with non-affiliated third parties, as follows:
(1) With service providers that perform services on our behalf, including identity verification services and email marketing services that perform services on our behalf;
(2) With other companies for our everyday business purposes, such as to process transactions, maintain accounts, respond to court orders and legal investigations or report to credit bureaus. For example, in connection with our everyday business purposes, we may share information about you as follows:
- To comply with an applicable law or regulation, or in response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with any applicable law, regulation or legal process;
- To protect against or prevent actual or potential fraud, unauthorized transactions, claims, or other liability;
- To protect the rights, property and safety of bitFlyer or others;
- In connection with a proposed or actual sale, merger, transfer or exchange of all or a portion of bitFlyer’s assets to another company; and
- With your consent or at your direction, including if we notify you that the information you provide will be shared in a particular manner and you provide such information.
We may also share aggregated or de-identified information, which cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
Transfer of Information to the U.S. and Other Countries
Social Sharing Features
The Services may offer social sharing features and other integrated tools (such as the Facebook “Like” button), which let you share actions you take on our Services with other media, and vice versa. Your use of such features enables the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the entity that provides the social sharing feature. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of the entities that provide these features.
Advertising and Analytics Services Provided by Others
You may access and update your account profile information by logging into your account via our Services. If you wish to delete account information, you can delete your account by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org, but note that we may retain certain information as required by law or for our legitimate business purposes.
You may opt out of receiving promotional communications from bitFlyer by following the instructions in those messages. Please note that if you opt out, we may still send you transactional or relationship messages, such as those about your account or our ongoing business relations.
If you initially consent to the collection of location information by bitFlyer within our mobile app, you may be able to subsequently stop this collection through your device operating system settings. Or, you may also disable location information by removing our mobile app from your device.
Cookies and Local Storage
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies and local storage by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove browser cookies or clear local storage. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject these technologies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Services, including, if you disable cookies, your ability to receive electronic communications.